6.15.2009

Getting Ready for Uganda

I will soon begin packing for my missionary journey to Uganda. If I haven't fully informed you all about my journey, here is the thumbnail. Felt called to Africa 5 years ago or so. Connected to World Outreach Ministry Fellowship through friend Annie Phipps last year. Confirmed with God that now is the time. Presented opportunity to congregation. Team of 7 going to build a clean water source, provide HIV/AIDS clinic, improve orphanage, participate in local gospel outreach.


Well it is exacly 1 week until our departure. I have been trying to keep my prayers forcussed on the trip, the objectives, the team and my connection to God.

As I was praying with the team yesterday afternoon, thoughts about motive for going on the trip invaded my mind and heart. Going to provide water can just be philanthropy. (Not a bad thing!) Going to build an orphanage can just be a church thing (Not necessary terrible!) Going to relieve my guilt over being a materialistic American IS a terrible thing. Going to be one of those cool world-travelling, social action people IS a terrible thing. Going because I don't want my life to get too comfortable just doing my own little thing and staying focused on what serves my agenda here in my comfortable circle of influence is good, but not good enough because I am ultimately the focus of that too.

There seems to me to only be 1 really good reason to go. And I have to admit that while administrating the trip preparations, raising the funds for the projects and helping individuals finish their travelling budgets with additional fund raising, trying to lead the team, making sure I have all my shots, getting my phone and credit card open for use in a foreign country, preparing things for home and church in my absence, continuing with my obligations, and on and on, has created sufficient distractions for me. Sufficient to make this a human task more than a spiritual one.

There is only one reason for me to go to Uganda. Because I love Jesus! I love Him. He rocks!

I'm going to Uganda because I love Him and that would not translate into a trip to Uganda UNLESS He had told me to go.

So whatever I do, however I appear to others, whatever happen in my absence, I'm gonna be with Him, and give my all to honor Him in Uganda. And when I come home, I'm gonna have to do that in Hanford too.

4 comments:

Crystal June 15, 2009 at 11:40 AM  

Yes, I know those preparation crazies. In my experience, most of the preparation "is" a lot of spiritual warfare (passport office "losing" your passport, sinus infection days before you leave, money coming in at the last minute, etc). But I'm excited to hear about what God does with you guys in Uganda!

Diana June 15, 2009 at 9:49 PM  

Great post, Bruce. I'll be praying for you guys!

LoieJ June 16, 2009 at 8:46 AM  

I was to Uganda, two areas there, plus a national park, in 2007. I can guarantee that you will be greatly blessed by the Christians there who will minister to you with their outstanding hospitality and friendliness. You will see faith in action, but a quiet faith with more action than words, but words as well. The Christian worship is vibrant and compelling.

The worst part, for me, was the travel on the highways. Let's just say that the drivers could use some lessons in courtesy, ahem, to put it mildly.

stone cold June 29, 2009 at 12:00 AM  

Hi Pastor Bruce. We will be praying for the team. I know GOD is doing things that will effect people for a life time and beyond. We back you in your mission and pray GOD will be with you in everything you do. God bless you guys and keep you safe. NORM and DEBI. P.S. that guy Scott you had fill in for you did a pretty good job today. Some very interesting idea's GOOD JOB!

  © Blogger template Brooklyn by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP