6.06.2009

"epic"


"What does epic stand for?"
We stand for relationships. We stand for serving the world God loves. We stand for striving to find God and becoming more like Him in the way we live.


"No, I mean is 'epic' some kind of acronym or something?"
I've thought of many over the years. And I've found some in books too. There's - elephant peanuts in cans - that one is Merritt's original idea, pretty creative I think!. There's - every person imitating Christ. Or how about - exciting people in church. Author Leonard sweet uses the letters to describe imortant characteristics of a church gathering - experiencial, participative, image-full, creative.

"So, is that the one that you use for your church?"
No, we don't use any. Maybe the peanut one from time to time. But that's not it.

"Where did you get your church name then?"
Well, rather than continuing to be cryptic (which can be fun for me, but will likely frustrate you to no end) let me just tell you how I was inspired to choose that name. epic - "adjective / 1.) pertaining to a long poetic composition usually centered upon a hero, in which a series of great achievements or events is narrated. 2.) heroic, majestic, impressively great." That's from Webster's dictionary.

We are followers of Christ, the epic hero of the only truly epic story in which we have the opportunity to play an epic role. We are here to reveal that, to live that, to share that!
I've had this conversation a few times and never posted it here or on the epic website. So, now I can't say never anymore.

1 comments:

Peter P June 6, 2009 at 11:32 PM  

Extremely Provocative, Intelligent Christians

  © Blogger template Brooklyn by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP