6.19.2008

Someone wants to leave their church!

I found this post on a blog I occasionally visit. It is the musing of a Christian guy who has been wondering if he should or if he wants to leave his church for a house church. He took the time to list his reasons for going to the house church and I have quoted them below.

5. My pastor hasn’t had a relationship with a non-believer in over 10
years.

4. The leaders of my church are workaholics and I find it hard to believe they have a healthy relationship with the Lord when they don’t have the time for their family.

3. I’m sick of it being about one man. Be that the pastor, or the musician or whatever, I want to see them raising up other people and sending them out, content to have many small churches instead of one mega church.

2. There are 1,000 people who attend my church. I know 50 and only care about 20 of them. I attend a small group to go deeper with those I care about, but I have no reason to remember the name of the guy whose hand I shake between worship and the sermon.

1. There is no place to really do ministry, the leaders will not let go of control. I want to pray for people, bless people, watch out for people, be there for people. I want to be invited to do what the Lord has called me to do.

I think these thoughts reveal a lot, and give us all a good reason to evaluate what we do as Christians and how we reflect God as his church. A thought I have had recently is in regard to God calling the church his bride. That is we Christians COLLECTIVELY, not the institution, are the object of God's desire and love. I think of how human men select brides and one of the things we do subconsciously is to choose someone who makes us look good. In other words, we look for someone so beautiful, talented, witty, smart, charismatic, charming, etc. that merely by the fact that we are associated with that person we assume people will think we are somehow special enough to win that person's affections.

I want to make God look good.

What do you think about any of this?

1 comments:

Scott June 20, 2008 at 11:45 PM  

While I'm not sure that those are ALWAYS good reasons to leave a church community, I do very much see the merit of this bloggers frustrations. To be honest, if what he describes is all true then it might not even be a church that he is leaving. Maybe it is just a country club with the word "church" in its name. I am constantly thankful that epic is a community that strives to make God look good.

  © Blogger template Brooklyn by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP