11.14.2008

A Sad, Sad Day

I recently met with my friend Jonny Bartlett for coffee. (I love to have "meetings.") I knew going in that this time of hanging out over a brew (not a brewsky) would be less than happy for me. I had received an e-mail the day before from Jonny explaining that he and his wife Jessica would be looking for a new congregation to call home.


Now, I take all such situations personally and it is always very hard. This was hard because of the totality of the journey that we shared as epic together and because of the value I placed on our personal connection. Jonny and Jessica were one of the very first people to join the epic launch team beside the original 6. Rhonda, I, Jonny, Jessica, Merritt, and Mason sat in my dad's living room and dreamed of what worship at epic could be like. We drempt of a common commitment to serving those in need (particularly in recovery) in our community. We drempt of a place where friendships were the core of ministry instead of a happy by-product. It was a great night of connection that has remained strong in my heart ever since.


Jonny and Jessica have been instrumental in many things at epic. Here are just a few: sound technology, community service - the Kindness Faire, community service - KCAO, community service - Hannah's House, community service - Champions, and most obviously - the ministry of worship. With skill, dedication, and heart they have moved the ministry of worship forward... and epic forward is so many ways.


Jonny and Jessica, Thanks for you. You gave God your lives and us yourselves. We are grateful.


Jonny and I had a great "meeting" (haha). Our friendship seems strong as always. Our hopes are common hopes and we still share a lot of dreams. I am sure that there will be a lot of Kingdom business to share wherever Jonny, Jessica, and the handsome Nathan Bartlett land.


If you are part of epic and get the chance, tell Jonny and Jessica thanks!

2 comments:

Jeka November 14, 2008 at 10:14 AM  

Thanks Bruce, your support means the world to us. We have no idea where we are going but we've come from good roots! TO THE PUBLIC***PLEASE NOTE I AM 6 MONTHS PREGGO IN THIS PICTURE***

Becky November 17, 2008 at 10:47 AM  

What? When? Why? Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, they are such a great couple. They will be greatly missed.

  © Blogger template Brooklyn by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP