10.14.2008

Why I almost skipped a Worship Gathering

I recently was driving around town in here in Mayberry, when I came upon a church sign. I proceeded to voice activate my cell phone (because it is illegal in Mayberry to use your phone without that ear piece too). I called my friend Scott to tell him that he may need to speak on the following Sunday morning because I needed to be at another church's gathering.


The sign was so provocative and I couldn't imagine where the message that was being promoted would lead that congregation... Well, I actually could imagine and guess with a great deal of certainty where it would go. The sign read, "What the Bible says about Obama."

If you know me, you probably know that I am not a fan of either candidate in this election and am becoming quickly disenfranchised with the 2-party system that we operate under. (I'm liking the idea of parliamentary government styled after the British model.)

DON'T WORRY! THESE ARE THOUGHTS MORE THAN OPINIONS....

Anyhow, I was discouraged that a church would overtly propagate a position on a candidate and pretend that the Bible directly addresses that candidate. I could already hear the rhetoric laden with Christian-eze and Christianized political idioms.

The Bible has a lot to say about the issues we face. It has a lot to say about what kind of character a leader must have in order to govern well. (I have been very disappointed with the revelations of our leaders' true character after they have promoted their authentic faith during campaigning.)

I hope that the church will stand up for the Bible. All that it teaches. All that it promotes. All that it embodies.

Politics, however, are so fluid and deceptive. I think it is patently dangerous for a church to support or denounce a particular candidate in an official stance. Politicians are professional liars. I trust those who sing the merits of their faith least of all. That being said, this preliminary campaign offered two candidates who seemed to have the highest level of fidelity to their faith in my memory (except, possibly, for Jimmy Carter who I am embarrassed to say I am old enough to remember and who will surely divide the opinions of my friends who read this). And both of those candidates we eliminated from the race in rather short order because of their distance from professional political culture.

I find politics so interesting, so discouraging, so distasteful, so far from the Christian ideal. I guess it is this conflicting set of opinions that makes me question how a church could conscientiously post such a blatantly political phrase on their church sign.

5 comments:

epic bruce October 14, 2008 at 8:25 AM  

OK its me updating this post... I think all Christians should actively involve themselves in the political system as a voice for God. Our votes should be cast with that somber responsibility in mind. Our votes should be decided by a prayer for God's will, not for our party-line.

Post your thoughts. Mine are so cryptic and in complete.

Diana October 14, 2008 at 9:38 AM  

Kyle and I saw that sign as well, and wanted to skip epic to go hear what had to be said. While I'm not a supporter of Obama (nor am I a real strong supporter of McCain), I don't like the anti-Obama camp compares him to the anti-christ or calls him Barack Osama. Unfortunately, politics has come down to a 'lesser of two evils' scenario in so many ways, and there often isn't a great answer.

Scott October 14, 2008 at 1:04 PM  

I am so with you Bruce. I don't belive that Churches as communities should ever promote or defend political candidates or parties. Christians (and the church community in particular) should ALWAYS commit to being a prophetic voice in our culture. A church community that alligns for or against any particular candidate has lost hope for such a prophetic voice. We should ALWAYS stand for truth and NEVER align with evil. While I do not belive that either candidate is "evil" I understand the sentiment of "lesser of two evils." Since we are to choose between a "lesser of two evils," the church should not be found on the side of either. Unless...

JESUS FOR PRESIDENT 2012!

Debra D. October 14, 2008 at 3:21 PM  

I agree....as in the article on Scott's blog suggested.......I think we should cast our vote after much thought and prayer for God's will. Also, it suggested (and I agree) that we should think as global Christians, and not just about how the elections effect us and our country.
I have had much concern over the church getting so involved in the politic's of this country, how can we as Christians align ourselves with any candidate that speaks and encourages so much hatred? What about what the bible says about us loving one another?
Being a child of the 60's, I thought we had come so far....I'm so disappointed to realize that we have not, and it seems that the church has not either!!! WOW....is what I have been saying through this entire election year!!!

Kim Harrison October 15, 2008 at 10:10 AM  

Perhaps disappointment is the nature of the political arena? I couldn't agree more with what you are saying. Each camp is trying to polarize themselves against the other, but they fail to bring forward what they stand for - just how rotten the other one is. Diana's comment on the "lesser of two evils" is so accurate and disturbing in a way. For once in my adult life, I haven't a clue where to go or who to vote for as neither support my beliefs.

  © Blogger template Brooklyn by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP